Friday, July 8, 2011

The Great Sand Dunes

I have been in search for cool locations for my photography. Travis and my cousin Gavin suggested that we try out the Sand Dunes. They really just wanted an excuse to go hiking i'm sure.

I had no idea how difficult it would be to climb to the top. Even driving up to the dunes and seeing them next to the mountains didn't put things into perspective for me. The groups of people returning from their hike, panting, and covered in sand didn't really clue me in. It was the two hours of sliding backwards with every step that did it. Yep, I am out of shape. Travis and Gavin just bounded up to the top leaving me to my shamefully slow ascent.

All in all though, I am extremely happy with the pictures we got. The view from the very top was well worth the effort it took (even if I thought my lungs would explode).

This is my cousin Gavin. He got out there and surprised me by strutting around in front of my camera like he'd been modeling for ages. I couldn't believe it!







This one is my favorite. This is Emily. She graciously agreed to let me take her pictures, and hiked all the way up the sand dunes in this dress. The wind really started picking up when we were wrapping up her part of the shoot. It stung our legs and nearly blew away some of my equipment. I am happy it did though. The blowing sand and wind caught dress make this picture in my opinion.





Here's another one of Emily. Isn't she lovely?




Last but not least, the darling and handsome Travis. He reminds me of Indiana Jones! He actually offered to carry me down the sand dunes on his back. What a nice boy.




1 comment: